Friday 3 September 2010

{Why} I Make My Own

Rachel who writes the wonderful Stitched in Color blog has asked the all important question why I make my own things... I already have a job, I have an hour and a half commute every day, but still all I want to do in the evening is knit, sew, make the cushion covers for my new home and even my curtains, or new bowls. And I do wonder sometimes: why can't I stop?

Because I love the process of making things. I am interested in the final object to a certain extent but I love knitting, sewing, making it. It may explain why I have started so many projects and finished so few. But I am getting better, I have even picked up a project I started more than 15 years ago! And also I need things to be done for the new house.

Also I love the fact that I do not have to compromise. It can the dimensions I want, the colour scheme I want, the texture I want... Do not get me wrong I buy high street objects, but the ones I really like are out of my price range, because they are one-offs.. which brings me back to do my own...

So why do you make your own? If you publish a post explaining why, link it back to Rachel's blog.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I also enjoy the progress way more than the finished object.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for that! And I can't wait to see more of this 15-year-old project ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, I love reading them. I usually reply to comments, unless you are a nonreply- blogger.