Tuesday 19 July 2011

{IKAT - Buy it or Make it?} Noas' Libellule obsession

Hiya Guys! Two posts in two days, whoohoo! This is THE post I have been very excited about on twitter. It is the start of a new feature that combines two of my favourite things: shopping and making things!


This week I want to talk about IKAT. In London, the weather has been shocking in July, and it is a real shame, because IKAT screams summer. But you need to have faith guys, we still have August and September. So here is a sample of what you could buy, and honestly I could buy it all (well, in my head, because my purse is telling me non, non, non - clearly, my purse is French).



1. IKAT Lila Bedlinen, Zara Home; 2. Basket, Zara Home; 3. John Robshaw IKAT Cushion, Idyll Home; 4. Tibi Istanbul Ikat-print silk dress; 5.Two-tone IKAT scarf, Matthew Williamson; 6. Ikat Lime Green Pillow, Etsy; 7. IKAT mini-bowl, Anthropologie; 8. Tinalak Clutch, Anthropologie

So what is it going to be? The Matthew Williamson scarf (on sale!!!) or the Anthro clutch (on sale too!!)... But wait... Did I mention making it? Yes I did. Before you ring up your bank to up your limit on your credit card, check out these 3 projects.

Red, Blonde and Burlap made their IKAT fabric with only a sponge and acrylic paint. This is really awesome, and sounds super easy. That number 6 cushion, in your living room right now, done with your own creative hands!


Ok, guys, so you may be a bit more advanced than I am. And I think you will love
OurFifthHouse IKAT drapes made with a stencil that she bought. Carmel has a lot of tips about the painting fabric. I actually saw that tutorial back in March when I was looking new curtains. And love going back to it. So clever!


Finally, for the most advanced of you guys. And I know some of few are really good at this sort of thing, Elizabeth at
the Mustard Ceiling is showing you how to make your own stencil and her fabric tutorial. This tutorial has been featured in Design*Sponge. Mais oui! The result looks amazing. One day, it will be me showing my new chairs... One day..


So will you buy it or make it?? So it is all well and good to be stalking other bloggers (if you have a 100 hits on one page in one day, it is probably me), but what have I been doing? Do I believe in this trend or not? I do, and it seems that my parents did as well, 15 years ago when they came back from Thailand with some IKAT fabric. Honestly I had forgotten all about it (I mean 15 years!!!). But when I came across it recently (a bit of a spring clean is ALWAYS useful!), I found the perfect fabric for a new scarf. You will see, with one of the most flattering pictures of me (I really do not like being in front of the camera), my own IKAT scarf. I will show you tomorrow how I did it, and making pompoms with a fork...



PS: Thanks to the girls to let me feature their tutorials! Guys, I hope you enjoyed it!

4 comments:

  1. Love your scarf- the fabric looks so colourful!!! And the stencils tutorials are very inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SO much for the feature, you are too sweet. Can't wait to see how you made that lovely scarf!

    Brittany and Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for your contribution to the Shades of July ;)

    Have a nice day !

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. ikat fabric and suzani pillows is really great option for decoration either it is wall decoration or furniture decoration. It goes very well with everything.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, I love reading them. I usually reply to comments, unless you are a nonreply- blogger.