I have finally managed to bake the chocolate sponge cake recipe from the Olive Magazine (April 2010 issue). I don't like dark chocolate cakes so here is a white chocolate version...
This is a super easy recipe, and the cake looks super cute.
You need (for 10 people):
- For the sponge cakes (2)
30g white chocolate chips
175g unsalted butter, softened completely
175g golden caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
2 tbsp or more milk (it depends on how creamy your mixture is)
300ml double cream ( next time I will put much less to be honest)
red food colouring
- Heat the oven to 180C. Butter and base-line 2x20cm sandwich tins.
- Put all the sponge cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat them together until you have a creamy mixture. Add milk if the mix is too stiff - it should fall easily from the spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and level the surfaces of the cake mixtures.
- Bake on the same shelf in the oven for 20-25 mns or until the sponge springs back when pressed.
- Cool for 5 mns, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the icing, melt the white chocolate and fold it into the mascarpone.
- Whip the cream, add the colouring. For the filling, add a layer of strawberries, a layer of the whipped cream.
- Spread the chocolate icing over the top of the cake, some will rin over the edge. And decorate.